Business Formation Lawyer in St. Simons Island, Georgia
Experienced attorneys offer reliable guidance on essential issues
If you are ready to start a business in St. Simons Island, Georgia, Choate Harris P.C. can provide the detailed and personalized legal counsel you need. Missteps in the initial stages of your enterprise can haunt you for the life of your business. But with our knowledgeable business attorneys at your side, you can set your business on a firm foundation that enhances your prospects for success. Choate Harris P.C. is a full-service business law firm; our experience helping companies manage growth and litigating business and commercial disputes informs our view of business formation. We provide insight into effective planning that avoids pitfalls, removes impediments, and places your business on the path to prosperity.
Informed decisions on choice of entity
One of your earliest tasks is to decide on the structure of your business entity. We explain the pros and cons of various ownership structures, including:
- Sole proprietorship — The simplest form of business, consisting of a single owner, which does not protect against personal liability
- General partnership — A partnership in which all participants are jointly and separately liable for the business liabilities
- Limited partnership — A partnership in which one party assumes unlimited liability for the company’s debts and other partners assume limited liability
- Limited liability partnership (LLP) — A partnership in which each participant has limited liability for debts, but not for acts of professional negligence
- Limited liability company (LLC) — A business other than a corporation whose owners enjoy limited liability
- Corporation — A company composed of several owners authorized to act as a fictitious person
- Professional corporation — A corporation composed of licensed professionals
- Professional association (PA) — A usually nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing a particular profession
- Professional limited liability company (PLLC) — An LLC for certain professions, such as doctors, lawyers, accountants, and architects
Your decision depends on many factors including the number of owners, the mode of operation, your exposure to liability, tax planning, and the need to raise capital. Our business law attorneys make sure you are fully aware of the advantages and disadvantages of each option based on numerous contingencies, so you can make the best choice to reach your business goals.
Preparing your essential documents and laying the groundwork for operations
Once you’ve decided on the type of company, you must draft and file the documents registering the entity. But the essential paperwork doesn’t end there. If you have other stakeholders, you must draft an operating agreement detailing each member’s roles, rights, responsibilities, and percentage of ownership. You may also need permits, licenses, and zoning variances. You may have to negotiate leases for real estate or equipment, reach agreements with subcontractors and material suppliers, purchase insurance, and establish a line of credit.
To avoid unnecessary risks and complications, you should not begin operations until you have all these essential elements in place. As your determined partner, Choate Harris P.C. provides the legal guidance to keep your business moving forward, even through mergers and acquisitions or business transactions.
Get experienced and effective legal counsel for business formation in St. Simons Island, GA
If you are planning to start a business in St. Simons Island, Choate Harris P.C. is prepared to assist you with reliable legal advice on all aspects of business formation. Call us at 912.324.5216 or contact us online to schedule a consultation. We offer flexible office hours by appointment.